How Will Social Security Disability be Affected by the Trump Administration?
When a new president takes power, everyone wonders what will become of certain issues and what promises this person will actually be able to accomplish. Many of these issues are sensitive and many people feel strongly one way or the other about them.
Disability benefits are no exception to this worry. When President Trump was elected, the worry over many issues started. It’s important to note that while the president does have a great deal of power, there are checks in place and he needs Congress to get many things done.
Let’s Take A Look at The Facts Affecting Social Security Disability
- During his campaign, President Trump stated that Medicare and Social Security would be left alone. He hasn’t publicly commented on Social Security disability benefits alone.
- He will want to get re-elected, so alienating a lot of people by cutting Social Security Disability benefits is not in his best interest.
- Cutting the program would take years to come fully into effect. While not happy about it, people would have time to adjust to the change. It’s not something that would happen immediately and without warning.
- President Trump has not yet appointed a new Social Security Commissioner. Who this person is will affect this issue. This is how he can help shape Social Security Administration policy.
- It’s early yet. There are many factors to look at and we don’t have enough information to really know what the president is going to do going forward.
What Should We Do to Get Social Security Disability Benefits?
- At this point, there isn’t much to do in regards to this issue since we don’t know how things are going to go.
- The best thing to do at this point is to plan ahead by saving additional money for the future. If something should happen, there will be time to adjust as mentioned earlier. You can take a look at your current budget and see where you can start saving money now. Additional savings are always helpful, whether you use it for this or another situation.
- You can also look at an additional source of income. Depending on your specific skill set, you may be able to find freelance work or build your skills up to be able to do something in the future.
Try not to panic before we really know what’s going to happen, but do your best to prepare and watch the news to stay informed.