Reporting Overpayments to the SSA

When you receive an overpayment from the SSA, you will be required to notify them of the occurrence ASAP. With this in mind, you need to know the exact way to accurately report your overpayment to the SSA. Thankfully, the SSA is often on top of getting in touch with overpayment recipients, but it always helps to be self-sufficient in these easy-to-fix legal situations.

I’m Ready to Report, But I Have No Money to Repay

Depending on your situation, you will need to report your overpayment to the SSA by using one of two forms. If you are ready to report, but cannot pay the overpayment right away, you will need to file form SSA-632-BK. With this form, known as the Request for Waiver of Overpayment or Repayment Rate form, you can either have your entire fee waived, or you can receive a payment plan to help you pay the amount back over a set period. While there is no “file by” date for this form, you should submit it as quickly as possible.

The SSA is Falsely Saying I Received an Overpayment – What Form Should I Use?

The second form we will discuss, the Request for Reconsideration form (SSA-561-U), allows you to report if you feel the SSA has incorrectly claimed that you have received an overpayment. This will help put you into an appeal process with the SSA. However, you must always file this form within 60-days of receiving your “overpayment” check.

How Can I Avoid Overpayments?

In most cases, overpayments are ruled to be the fault of the recipient, and not of the SSA. If you want to avoid the potential of having an overpayment sent to you, the best strategy you can use is to keep your information updated as much as possible. Anytime your disability status changes, you take on extra work, or you experience any other significant changes, you need to file that information with the SSA. This will help you avoid the possibility of an overpayment.

Do You Need Help with Filing?

Filing can be difficult, especially if your disability makes it painful. If you need help disputing or paying an overpayment in North Carolina, Clauson Law Firm, PLLC can help. Our firm represents some of the best disability lawyers in North Carolina. Contact us today to set up a free consultation.

About Author


Clauson Law has focused on representing the injured and disabled for over 10 years. We have handled thousands of cases. Each client is important to us and has a unique situation.