Personal Injury Lawyer in Durham
How many serious car crashes occur in Durham in an average year? In 2018, only four states had more fatal auto accidents than North Carolina (California, Florida, Georgia, and Texas). That year 1,437 people died on North Carolina roads.
In Durham alone, between 2017 and 2019, there were 43,811 car accidents. Those crashes killed 65 people and left another 7,518 others with injuries serious enough to need emergency medical treatment.
At the intersection of I-40 and Fayetteville Road, there were 302 crashes between 2014 and 2018. The crossroad of I-40 with route NC 55 had 290 accidents in that same period. And I-40 at US 15-501 saw another 245 collisions.
Were You Injured in a Durham Car Accident?
Car accidents change lives. Injuries lead to permanent disabilities and months or even years of agony. Expert medical specialists devote their lives to helping heal wounds and reduce pain. At Clauson Law, legal experts who specialize in personal injury law work just as hard every day making sure you are fully compensated for everything you’ve lost and every day you’ve suffered.
Nobody plans to be involved in a serious accident. Still, tens of thousands of North Carolinian’s lives were suddenly thrown off track by another driver’s negligence. Out of work, disabled for who knows how long, and wondering how to pay the bills, these accident victims needed an experienced, professional advocate to recover every dollar they deserve. No one can go it alone.
Clauson Law Experts in Personal Injury Law
Our personal injury attorneys at Clauson Law are totally devoted to helping accident victims get compensation for every injury they suffer. We use decades of legal expertise to protect every client’s rights and to maximize the settlement amounts we recover for them. If the negligent driver’s insurance company resists reasonable demands to make our clients whole, our extensive litigation experience enables Clauson Law to press for justice in the courts.
The Injured Person’s Family Suffers Too
Serious car accidents create lifelong problems not just for the injured party, but for their entire family. Long-term or even permanent disability results in months or years of painful rehabilitation, emotional trauma, unemployment, financial need, and family stress. Another driver’s negligence can derail your children’s future when your immediate financial pressures require you to dip into the money you planned to use for their college. Or perhaps your injury will prevent you from earning the income your family needs to prosper. The bills don’t stop just because another driver injured you. With so much at stake for Durham accident victims, Clauson Law values their clients’ trust and uses decades of personal injury legal experience to pursue every avenue of recovery.
Common Injuries from Serious Accidents
Automobile accidents cause so many serious injuries that it’s impossible to list them all. The human body seems resilient until it suffers the trauma of a car crash. Airbags and seatbelts help, but the violent physical forces experienced in a serious collision wreak havoc on the human body. These severe injuries are common in high-speed accidents:
- multiple bone fractures (skull and facial fractures, compound fractures)
- traumatic brain injury (concussion, brain bleeding, memory loss, cognitive loss, blurred vision)
- spine or spinal cord injury (broken back, paralysis, disk rupture or herniation)
- internal injury (lacerated kidney or liver, ruptured spleen, rupture of abdominal aorta)
- combination of some or all above injuries
These horrible physical damages are often accompanied by deeply painful and persistent emotional and psychological injuries. Surviving accident victims experience debilitating depression, post-traumatic stress disorder syndrome, changes in personality, and strained relationships with spouses and other family members.
How can you calculate the value of such damage? It’s our mission at the Clauson Law Firm to advocate for the highest possible settlement or jury verdict that your case deserves. The best personal injury team at Clauson Law will seek compensation for all these losses, and more:
- all related medical bills and future medical expenses,
- lost wages and loss of future income,
- physical and emotional pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life (diminished quality of life), sleeplessness, mood swings, anxiety, PTSD, humiliation, etc., permanent mutilation or disfigurement,
- wrongful death (if deceased)
- property damage
Handling Contributory Negligence
Did you know that North Carolina law penalizes victims of other people’s negligence? If the driver who is at fault in an accident can prove that the victim contributed even slightly to the accident, then North Carolina personal injury law prevents the victim from recovering damages. The legal principle is called “contributory negligence,” and it means that you cannot recover from the negligent driver if you are just one percent at fault yourself. Our expert personal injury lawyers have years of practice responding to unjust claims of victims’ contributory negligence.
Our best personal injury lawyers know how eager defendants and their lawyers are to claim that you were partially at fault for your own injury. If they succeed, North Carolina law bars you from getting any compensation from the person who was primarily responsible. It’s not fair, but it is a law that the Clauson Law Firm has defeated many times when it was falsely alleged against our clients. These victories for our clients resulted from our full understanding of North Carolina statutes, court cases, and regulations.
If you or your loved one suffered any of these injuries, or some other physical injury in a North Carolina auto accident, you need to find the most qualified personal injury lawyers in the area.
Experience, perseverance, and devotion to our client places the Clauson Law Firm at the top of the list when victims of serious accidents need a Greensboro personal injury law firm.
Durham Personal Injury Lawyer FAQ's
The company insuring the party whose negligence or intentional conduct caused you to be injured employs investigators, claims adjusters, and defense lawyers to prevent you from receiving the compensation you deserve. A skilled Durham personal injury lawyer aggressively fighting on your behalf levels the playing field to ensure that you are fairly compensated.
Hiring a lawyer gives you someone with extensive knowledge of personal injury law combined with outstanding negotiating ability and superior courtroom and trial skills working to make the at-fault party pay for injuring you. Instead of being stressed and concerned about your case, you can focus on getting the rest and medical care you need knowing your claim is in good hands.
Some of the kinds of cases a personal injury lawyer Durham, NC, may handle include the following:
- Premises Liability: A property owner has a duty to exercise reasonable care to protect visitors who lawfully enter the property from being harmed. For example, if you trip and fall on a broken sidewalk while visiting your neighbor's home, you may have a claim for damages based on the failure of the neighbor to warn you of the known hazard.
- Medical malpractice: When a physician or other health care professional is negligent or careless in providing services to a person and causes personal injuries, the victim may bring a personal injury claim for medical malpractice to recover damages. Doctors, nurses, pharmacists, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care providers may be held liable when their actions cause personal injuries.
- Intentional conduct: Assault, battery and other conduct that are intentional and usually result in criminal charges may also give rise to a personal injury case against the responsible party seeking compensation on behalf of the victim.
- Dog bites: North Carolina law permits someone attacked by a dog to sue the owner for personal injuries under limited situations, including when the owner is aware of the dog having a propensity bite.
- Defective products: Someone injured by a defective product may have a claim for personal injuries against its manufacturer in addition to others involved in making, distributing, or selling a product. Product liability is a kind of personal injury case based on negligence in the design, manufacturing, or marketing of a product that results in injury to its user.
- Accidents: A large number of cases handled by personal injury lawyers arise from accidents caused by negligence. Examples include collisions involving cars, trucks, and other motor vehicles.
- Wrongful death: A wrongful death claim may be brought on behalf of the estate of a person killed through the careless, negligent, or intentional conduct of another party.
Some of the different types of cases handled by a personal injury attorney include the following:
- Slip-and-fall accidents.
- Collisions involving cars, trucks, and other motor vehicles.
- Public transportation accidents, including trains and buses.
- School bus accidents.
- Medical malpractice for negligent care and treatment and misdiagnosis.
- Dog bites.
- claims for failure of property owners to provide adequate security.
- Assaults and other intentional conduct.
The best way to learn whether or not you have a personal injury case is by arranging a consultation with a personal injury lawyer for a free consultation and case review.
The statute of limitations sets deadlines for filing personal injury cases. North Carolina has different deadlines depending on the type of personal injury case. For instance, you have three years to file a lawsuit for injuries caused in a car crash, but a lawsuit for wrongful death on behalf of someone killed in a car crash is two years from the date of death.
One of the benefits of having a personal injury lawyer handling your claim is the protection it gives you against missing the statute of limitations. A lawyer knows the laws and ensures that your personal injury case is filed on time to avoid losing the right to sue by missing the deadline.
A personal injury lawyer NC gets great satisfaction from helping people who suffer serious and frequently life-threatening injuries obtain justice and compensation by holding the parties who are at fault accountable for their actions.
Personal injury lawyers know how much cases are worth, so you will not be tricked by an insurance company into settling for less than you deserve. A Personal injury attorney in Durham, NC, knows how to identify and use evidence needed to present a strong, winnable claim for damages against the party whose fault led to you being injured.