Personal Injury Lawyer High Point, NC
Unintentional injuries or accidents in the United States occur with alarming frequency. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, accidents account for 24.5 million visits to hospital emergency departments and 39.5 million office visits with physicians each year. They also account for more than 173,000 deaths.
Accidents seem to happen no matter how careful you try to be when driving or doing any of the other activities associated with daily life. Unfortunately, no matter how careful you try to be, it does not make up for the careless, negligent, and reckless behavior of others.
The injuries and death caused by accidents do more than leave a person battered and bruised, families are left to grieve, and they cause financial losses. At the Clauson Law Firm, our High Point personal injury lawyer is committed to forcing the parties responsible for causing your injuries or the loss of a loved one to compensate you.
We put our years of personal injury experience to work on your behalf to aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve and need to be made whole and allowed to put your life back in order. Combining superior negotiation skills with outstanding abilities in the courtroom, our personal injury lawyer in High Point NC gives you confidence knowing that your personal injury claim is in good hands.
What Is A Personal Injury Claim, And How Do I File It?
When you suffer injuries through negligence or the intentional conduct of another person, business, or other entity, personal injury laws allow you to recover your financial losses through a lawsuit. Personal injury laws hold others responsible when their actions cause harm to others.
The fact that the law gives you the right to be compensated for your losses does not make it easy to accomplish. It takes more than simply accusing another party of negligence or claiming that their conduct caused injuries to you. The law requires that you produce evidence proving how the other party was at fault and the nature and extent of the injuries it caused.
Your High Point injury lawyer at Clauson Law investigates to gather evidence proving the negligent conduct of the party responsible for causing you to be injured. The evidence must prove each of the following elements of negligence:
- Existence of a duty of care: The other party must have a legal duty or obligation to act in a way that is reasonable under the circumstances to prevent causing harm to others. For example, motorists owe a duty to occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, and others using the roads to maintain control over their vehicles and prevent harming others.
- Breach of the duty of care: Evidence must prove that the at-fault party, referred to as the defendant in personal injury cases, either through actions or a failure to act, breached the duty of care owed to others. Driving at excessive speeds, ignoring a red light and similar types of conduct on the part of a motorist could be used to prove a breach of the duty of care owed to you and others.
- Causation: Breaching the duty of care must be the cause of your injuries. A common defense raised in personal injury cases in North Carolina is that factors other than the negligence of the defendant, including the contributory negligence of the injured party, caused the injuries. We anticipate defenses and include a search for evidence to defeat them as part of our investigation into the facts and circumstances of the accident.
- Damages: There must be evidence proving that you suffered damages, such as medical expenses, time lost from work, and other losses, as a result of the conduct of the defendant.
The best way to find out whether you have the right to file a claim for damages against another party is through a consultation and claim review at the Clauson Law Firm with a High Point personal injury lawyer.
We Handle All Types Of Personal Injury Claims
When the unexpected happens and you need a personal injury law firm, Clauson Law has experience handling all types of injury cases, including:
Regardless of how you were injured or where it happened, our personal injury law firm has an accomplished lawyer capable of providing the kind of passionate legal representation you deserve. Instead of wasting time with a Google search for a "personal injury lawyer near me," call the Clauson Law Firm for a personal injury lawyer with the extensive experience needed to make a difference in the outcome of your case.
Lawyers With Experience Handling All Types Of Personal Injuries
The lawyer chosen to represent you must have experience proving your type of injury to obtain for you the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury lawyers have experience with all types of physical and emotional trauma, including:
- Head and neck injuries.
- Concussions and traumatic brain injury.
- Injuries to the back and spinal cord.
- Lacerations and abrasions.
- Bone fractures.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
- Internal injuries.
- Wrongful death.
We work with your health care providers to obtain the medical records and reports needed to prove the nature and extent of your injuries, including any medical care or treatment you may require in the future.
Damages Recoverable In A Personal Injury Case
The injuries or loss of life caused by someone being negligent or intentionally inflicting harm turn a victim's world upside down. The purpose of a personal injury lawsuit is to help you restore order to your life by recovering damages from the at-fault party. Allowing you to move on with your life means looking toward the future and anticipating additional damages you may incur for medical treatment or diminished earning capacity in the years to come.
Three general categories of damages exist in personal injury cases:
- Economic damages.
- Non-economic damages.
- Punitive damages.
Economic damages represent monetary losses caused by the actions of the defendant. They include the following:
- Costs associated with doctors, hospitals, physical therapy, occupational therapy, diagnostic testing, prescription medications, and other treatment for your injuries.
- Expenses related to psychiatric and psychological evaluations and treatment for mental health disorders caused by the actions of the defendant.
- Cost of future medical and mental health care and treatment your medical providers anticipate you will require due to the injuries that you suffered.
- Lost wages from being unable to work due to your injuries.
- Lost or diminished future earnings may be caused by being unable to work the same number of hours or at the same job that you had before being injured. It may also include future promotions or bonus opportunities you will miss out on due to the time lost from work.
- Expenses related to repair or replacement of property damaged in the accident. This could include damage to your car in a traffic accident caused by another party.
You may be entitled to recover other economic damages in addition to the ones listed here. For example, if you need help with housekeeping or childcare because of your injuries, the expenses associated with hiring someone to assist with those services may be recoverable as economic damages.
Non-economic damages cannot be calculated from bills, receipts, or invoices as can be done with economic damages. Non-economic damages compensate you for the non-financial losses, including physical and emotional pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, loss of companionship, and diminished enjoyment of life.
A resourceful High Point personal injury lawyer from Clauson Law knows, through an extensive background in personal injury law, the factors insurance companies and courts consider in determining fair compensation for non-economic losses through settlement or an award at trial. Your lawyer knows how to evaluate the evidence and determine how to present it to achieve maximum results either in court or through negotiations.
The third type of damages, punitive damages, are generally reserved for those cases involving extreme conduct by a defendant that shocks the conscience. Unlike economic and non-economic damages awarded to compensate you for losses, punitive damages do not compensate a victim. Instead, they punish the defendant and send a message to deter others from engaging in similar conduct.
An example of a case that may result in an award of punitive damages by a jury might be one where a surgeon operates while intoxicated and causes the patient to die. Jurors may consider such conduct as so extreme as to justify awarding punitive damages to the family of the deceased victim.
How Does Our Personal Injury Law Make A Difference?
You may wonder how the Clauson Law High Point personal injury law firm makes a difference in the outcome of a case. Here are only a few of the benefits that come from retaining us as your trusted advocate:
- We investigate and gather evidence:Building a strong case against the party that caused you to suffer injuries leads to a favorable outcome, but it takes evidence to prove the negligence and the losses that you incurred. Police reports, medical records, statements from witnesses, photos, video surveillance, and reports from experts are only some of the forms of evidence we look for during our investigation.
- We tell you what your claim is worth:Our extensive experience representing people injured through the actions of others gives us the ability to evaluate a personal injury claim and determine its value. Knowing what compensation is fair based on the circumstances of an accident and the injuries helps avoid falling for insurance company tactics designed to settle claims for less than their true value.
- We are skilled negotiators and experienced trial lawyers:Our personal injury lawyers are experienced negotiators with solid negotiating skills. They know the tactics insurance companies use, including relying on lawyers and their clients being unwilling to take a case to trial. Most personal injury claims settle before trial, but we will not hesitate to take a case to trial if doing so gets you the compensation you deserve.
Representation by a gifted personal injury lawyer allows you to focus on getting the medical care and the rest you need to recover from your injuries with peace of mind knowing your case is in good hands.
When Should You Speak To A High Point Injury Lawyer?
All states limit the time you have to sue for personal injuries through a statute of limitations. For example, you have only three years from the date of the accident to sue a negligent driver for damages in North Carolina. Different time limits apply depending on how you were injured, so contact a High Point personal injury lawyer immediately after being injured to learn what time limit applies to your claim.
You may have years to file a lawsuit; however, contacting Clauson Law right away helps preserve evidence that could be lost or destroyed by the passage of time. Witnesses need to be contacted and statements need to be taken before their memories fade, or the witness dies or moves away and becomes unavailable.
Trusted Advice And Representation From A Personal Injury Lawyer In High Point NC
The team of High Point personal injury lawyers at the Clauson Law Firm offers trusted legal advice and superior representation when the negligence or intentional conduct of another party causes you to be injured or is responsible for the death of a member of your family. We commit our knowledge and skills to aggressively fighting for your right to be fairly compensated for your damages.
We do not take lightly the fact that you chose us as your High Point injury lawyer, so we work hard to prove that you made the right decision. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation claim evaluation and consultation with a personal injury lawyer in High Point NC at the Clauson Law Firm, PLLC.
High Point Personal Injury Lawyer FAQ's
You should contact an expert personal injury lawyer as soon after an injury as possible. There is no benefit in waiting. Evidence that supports your claim may be lost, witnesses’ memories fade, and you and your family suffer anxiety longer than necessary.
The law in North Carolina requires that any lawsuit for a personal injury must be filed no later than three years from the time of the injury. But in cases of wrongful death, a suit must be filed within two years from the date of the victim’s death, but no later than three years from the injury.
Don’t try to figure out the law alone. The Clauson Law Firm provides free case evaluations and answers to all your questions. All you need to do is contact us online or telephone us at 833-680-0177.
Helping the people of High Point and the Piedmont Triad who suffer injuries due to someone else’s negligence has brought us professional satisfaction and personal joy. Serving the High Point community is a privilege. The Clauson Law Firm works every day to win the highest compensation for our clients. It takes constant devotion to our mission and a never-give-up attitude to meet our high standard of performance. We never stop fighting because our clients’ lives are improved by our winning them compensation. We work to relieve victims and their families from the heavy burden thrust on them by the carelessness of others.
�The value of hiring a High Point personal injury lawyer becomes clear the minute you call for your free case review. At the Clauson Law Firm, we want to hear about your injury case. We immediately begin to collect evidence to strengthen your demand for compensation. Our team of personal injury lawyers and support staff will collect all your medical records, track all your accident and injury-related financial losses, press your claim against every potentially liable party, demand the highest potential compensation for you, and fight until we get you the highest possible settlement or judgment.
In 2019 alone, almost 1300 people suffered serious personal injuries in a High Point auto accident. An experienced High Point personal injury lawyer is of great value when you need an expert who understands how the law applies to your circumstances. The Clauson Law Firm will fight to get you the maximum settlement to compensate you for your injuries and other damages.
Insurance companies want you to handle your personal injury claim without a personal injury lawyer. These large corporations know how to give low-ball offers to injured victims who don’t know the law. Expert personal injury attorneys know how to press your claim, how to collect and present supportive evidence, and how much your injury claim deserves to settle for. Clauson Law will use its decades of experience to get you and your family the highest compensation possible.
Many people associate High Point personal injury attorneys only with injuries suffered in auto accidents. Most personal injury cases do involve car crashes, but we also handle all personal injuries in the High Point area, from serious injuries suffered in a fall to cancer and other illnesses caused by dangerous or defective products. Every time someone acts negligently, causing someone to be injured, the Clauson Law Firm wants to fight for the victim’s right to full compensation.
If you or your family member suffer any injury in the High Point or Piedmont Triad area because another person acted negligently or failed to fulfill their duty, the Clauson Law Firm is ready and eager to answer all your questions and to fight for the maximum compensation for you.