What Will Social Security Do When It Finds an Overpayment?

Although it is unusual for the Social Security Administration (SSA) to pay you more benefits than you are due, mistakes do happen. When overpayment does occur, you can expect the SSA to notify you of the issue. Along with a notification, the SSA will explain what will happen next to correct the discrepancy and notify you of any steps you need to take to rectify the situation.

Social Security Overpayment

How Does Social Security Collect Overpayments?

The way the SSA will collect money for Social Security overpayment will depend on what type of benefits you are receiving.

Supplemental Security Income.

If you are currently getting SSI benefits and you received an overpayment, the SSA will keep 10% of your benefit check each month until the overpayment is corrected.

Social Security Disability Insurance.

If you are currently getting Social Security Disability Insurance, the SSA will keep the entire monthly benefit check until the overpayment is corrected.

What if you are no longer receiving benefits?

If you are no longer receiving benefits, you either need to pay the overpayment back within 30 days or set up a payment plan with the SSA.

What Happens if You Don’t Repay the Overpayment?

The SSA expects all overpayments to be repaid in full. If you do not repay the overpayment voluntarily, there are several ways that the SSA can attempt to collect the overpayment. These include:

Keeping part of your paycheck before you receive it.

Collecting money from any future SSDI or SSI benefits you may qualify for.

Taking the amount due from your tax refund.

Reporting you to the credit bureau.

What if You Do Not Agree With the Overpayment Amount or Cannot Pay?

If you do not believe that you were overpaid, or think that the amount stated by the SSA is inaccurate, you can file an appeal.

If you think that the overpayment was accurate, but feel like paying it back will cause unnecessary financial hardship, you can apply for a waiver.

Please contact our firm for assistance with appealing or filing a waiver. A Social Security overpayment attorney is here to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighteen − nine =

How to Apply for Disability Benefits with COPD?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a lung disorder making it hard to breathe normally and maintain normal blood oxygen levels. It is also a progressive disease, meaning there is no cure for COPD. In addition to severe breathing problems, people with COPD also suffer recurring respiratory infections, fatigue, chest pain and swelling in the […]

June 25th, 2019

Can You Get SSD or SSI Disability Benefits for Scoliosis?

Scoliosis typically emerges in children who develop an abnormal “S”-shaped curve to their spine. In most cases, scoliosis remains mild and does not prevent children from being physical active. Some may need to wear a corrective back brace until their bones stop growing. Rapidly progressive scoliosis may require spinal fusion surgery or insertion of rods […]

May 24th, 2019

Can I Get SSDI or SSI Disability for Interstitial Cystitis?

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a chronic condition that is thought to be caused by a defect in the lining of the bladder. However, many of the specifics of IC aren’t well-known to doctors. Those who have IC may not experience very much relief from their symptoms throughout the day, making it difficult to complete tasks. […]

May 1st, 2019

Can You Get Disability Benefits for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a repetitive motion disorder interfering with normal functioning of the wrist, hand and fingers, causing pain, numbness, burning sensations and inability to move the hand without pain. A large nerve extends down the arms and through wrists via a “carpal” tunnel. When this nerve swells and rubs against the bony […]

August 3rd, 2018

Address: 5306 NC HWY 55 STE 101 Durham, NC 27713.

***Clauson law represents clients across the country in Social Security disability cases only. Any other matters are restricted to representation in North Carolina.